I was never a fan of custard or trifle growing up. I found this recipe a few years ago in my cookbook “Feeding the bump” by Lisa Neal and it’s since become my “Christmas go to dessert”. It always goes down really well! This modern version uses yoghurt and seasonal fruit of raspberries and peaches to create a healthier dessert than the original version of my childhood. It is also a fabulous finale to a summer barbeque or dinner party. You can also substitute with fruit like mango, white nectarines or mixed berries.
- 1 heaped cup plain yoghurt (I use full fat organic yoghurt)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (approx 1 orange)
- 2 tbs honey
- 4 ripe white peaches
- 1 packet Italian sponge fingers
- 2 cups fresh raspberries (or defrosted)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted.